Books 2021 - Third Quarter
Oct. 15th, 2021 11:32 am Very late I know, I have been meaning to do this for ages!
36: The postscript murders Elly Griffiths [Kindle]
The book group choice for the Shedunnit book group - this time it was a modern crime novel in the 'style' of a Golden-Age one. I enjoyed this, although there were mixed feelings in the group discussion. I would definitely read more in this series.
37: Such a fun age Kiley Reid [Kindle]
In person book group read for July. Not really my sort of thing. It raised some interesting questions for discussion, but I can't say I would seek out more books like this
38: The children of Jocasta Natalie Haynes [Kindle]
Natalie Haynes does one of my favourite podcasts (Stand Up for the Classics/BBC Sounds) and I really enjoyed this re-telling of Oedipus, especially with the focus on what came after.
39: Hamnet Maggie Farrell [Kindle]
August's book group read for the in person group. I loved this so much. I loved the style of writing and the atmosphere she created.
40: The Honjin murders Seishi Yokomizo [Kindle]
Shedunnit book club read for August, a Golden Age mystery novel in translation. This is the most famous series of novels from this period in Japan, and I enjoyed it a lot. A little different from Anglophone novels from the period (as to be expected), but you could also see the influences.
41: The official DVSA Theory Test for Car Drivers
42: Know your road signs AA
43: The Highway Code AA
The three most boring books in the world. But they did their job - I passed my theory test.
44: Death on the Riviera John Bude [Kindle]
Shedunnit August read - theme 'holiday'. Not that this was really a holiday mystery, as the detectives were sent to the Riviera for work - and the case they were supposed to be working on took up so much of the book, that I was beginning to wonder if there would ever be a murder. But there was, and there were plot twists, and it was sorted out in the end. An enjoyable read.
45: Miss Pym disposes Josephine Tey [Kindle]
Back to School theme for September in the Shedunnit book club - although this book was set at the end of term! This felt very much like the school stories from this period too, Tey was spot on there. However, even compared to other novels from this time, the prejudices and attitudes in this were quite shocking to a 'modern' reader, and they did diminish my enjoyment of the book. Also, the murder was a long way into the book, and as a consequence the conclusion felt rushed and unsatisfying.
46: Cane warriors Alex Wheatle [Kindle]
September's book for the in person book group. A YA (so nice and short) novel based around Tacky's Rebellion in Jamaica in 1760 - something I hadn't known about before. Being a first person narrative it felt very immediate and compelling, but I would perhaps have liked to know about some of the other characters a bit more (like those left behind on the plantation, waiting for news of the rebels)
36: The postscript murders Elly Griffiths [Kindle]
The book group choice for the Shedunnit book group - this time it was a modern crime novel in the 'style' of a Golden-Age one. I enjoyed this, although there were mixed feelings in the group discussion. I would definitely read more in this series.
37: Such a fun age Kiley Reid [Kindle]
In person book group read for July. Not really my sort of thing. It raised some interesting questions for discussion, but I can't say I would seek out more books like this
38: The children of Jocasta Natalie Haynes [Kindle]
Natalie Haynes does one of my favourite podcasts (Stand Up for the Classics/BBC Sounds) and I really enjoyed this re-telling of Oedipus, especially with the focus on what came after.
39: Hamnet Maggie Farrell [Kindle]
August's book group read for the in person group. I loved this so much. I loved the style of writing and the atmosphere she created.
40: The Honjin murders Seishi Yokomizo [Kindle]
Shedunnit book club read for August, a Golden Age mystery novel in translation. This is the most famous series of novels from this period in Japan, and I enjoyed it a lot. A little different from Anglophone novels from the period (as to be expected), but you could also see the influences.
41: The official DVSA Theory Test for Car Drivers
42: Know your road signs AA
43: The Highway Code AA
The three most boring books in the world. But they did their job - I passed my theory test.
44: Death on the Riviera John Bude [Kindle]
Shedunnit August read - theme 'holiday'. Not that this was really a holiday mystery, as the detectives were sent to the Riviera for work - and the case they were supposed to be working on took up so much of the book, that I was beginning to wonder if there would ever be a murder. But there was, and there were plot twists, and it was sorted out in the end. An enjoyable read.
45: Miss Pym disposes Josephine Tey [Kindle]
Back to School theme for September in the Shedunnit book club - although this book was set at the end of term! This felt very much like the school stories from this period too, Tey was spot on there. However, even compared to other novels from this time, the prejudices and attitudes in this were quite shocking to a 'modern' reader, and they did diminish my enjoyment of the book. Also, the murder was a long way into the book, and as a consequence the conclusion felt rushed and unsatisfying.
46: Cane warriors Alex Wheatle [Kindle]
September's book for the in person book group. A YA (so nice and short) novel based around Tacky's Rebellion in Jamaica in 1760 - something I hadn't known about before. Being a first person narrative it felt very immediate and compelling, but I would perhaps have liked to know about some of the other characters a bit more (like those left behind on the plantation, waiting for news of the rebels)

no subject
Date: 2021-10-15 08:42 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2021-10-15 08:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2021-10-19 04:52 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2021-10-19 05:33 pm (UTC)